According to the newly published “Local Mobile Trends Study” from the Local Search Association (conducted by Thrive Analytics) Facebook is the by far the app of choice when writing a local review on a smartphone or tablet.
The survey, which involved just over 1,000 US smartphone owners, asked how many people had written reviews and then about the preferred device for writing them. Among those under 53 years old, about 70% said they had written a review online.
Roughly 15% of users preferred to write reviews using their smartphones or tablets. The remaining 85% said they preferred to do so on the PC.
The majority of mobile review writers said that Facebook was the app of choice vs. Google, Yelp, TripAdvisor, Foursquare, OpenTable and “other.” This finding again illustrates Facebook’s significant opportunity in local, which the site has yet to fully seize upon.
Separately the survey, among other things, asked about local search activity by category. The following were the top categories where local search activity was concentrated during the past 30 days (prior to the survey date):
- Restaurants — 47%
- Pizza — 44%
- Retail stores — 38%
- Banks — 22%
- Doctors/hospitals — 19%
- Travel services — 18%
- Insurance — 16%
- Auto dealers — 14%
- Auto repair – 14%
- Pet care — 13%
- Real estate — 11%
In other words, respondents said that 47% of their local search activity was tied to restaurants and 11% related to real estate.